There are 6 different types of press releases.
1) General News
A general press release is by far the most common type of press release. This is what first comes to mind when someone hears the words "press release". Typically this type includes news that must be announced to the media immediately. The objective of this type is to generate interest, coverage and exposure for the company that decided to distribute the press release to begin with.
A launch press release is actually pretty similar to that of a general news release in terms of format, but its intent is much, much, much more specific. A launch press release is a lot more urgent while its main purpose is to create a buzz regarding a specific revelation. This includes announcing a new company, new medical practice, website or any sort of initiative.
A product press release often comes in a format that is a lot different from a general news release. This is only because a product press release usually includes product specifications. It can be used together with a launch release if the focus is launching a product. A product press release is the type that would create and distribute if you intent to launch a new product.
4)Executives or Staff Announcement
An executive or staff announcement release is what you would typically send out if there were staff changes to your medical practice or company. This type of press release is different from a general news release in the sense that it can actually contain biographical data to support the other information.
5) Expert Positioning
An expert positioning press release is a lot less urgent compared to a regular general news release. Specifically, this type can actually focus on a company report and include statistics or results. Also, it may contain news from other organizations.
An event press release has an even more different format than a general news release basically because it needs to be shown to members of the media and answer the questions of who, what, when, where and why. Usually an event press release looks a lot like a list or outline instead of paragraphs.
So, in deciding which press release you should focus on, consider the purpose of it to you, your services and your medical practice.
Key Points for Press Releases
- A press release is a short yet very compelling news story written by a public relations person and then sent to targeted members of the media.
- Timeliness is the MOST important
- The story needs to appeal to the intended audience
- Make sure to find specific media and journalists that would be most interested in your story
- A dateline is what contains the release date of the press release and mostly contains the originating city of the press release
- The headline is the single most important line of text in the entire press release; it's what catches people's eye first and tells people exactly what the press release is about
- Your headline should be very descriptive but not too long
- An effective press release involves developing a story idea that's unique, timely and newsworthy
Want the press release done for you? We can get you started right away. Call 516-647-3002 for details.
- August 24th